Thursday, May 1, 2014

Communal fruit bowl

Something about oranges
appeals to me today. I don't much feel like
having a banana or an apricot
(although the apricots are supposed to be
really sweet this time of year).

Taking out a sweet orange,
I push a knife through pulp and skin to split it
into six perfect (okay, unequal)
sections, that I then pop one-by-one into my
mouth, savoring each juicy bite.

Felix walks in and tells me I
shouldn't be eating oranges, because although the team
all chipped in, I'm only allowed
apples, because I said I wanted some on hand and they're
from my home state. Obviously.

So because he's watching, I take
an apricot and bite into it, and find they're really
quite sweet indeed, and juicy, and
the drips running down my chin soak into my shirt,
which is the best way to eat apricots.

Turns out I'm in an apricot mood
after all--it's delicious. I give him an apple,
which he doesn't eat, poor sap;
this year's Pink Ladies are super-sweet, too,
and I'll eat it later, when I feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment