Thursday, May 29, 2014

Somewhat...

it's not
that the world hasn't changed.
Or that things aren't better,
because they are, somewhat.

But
the other day Dad and I were
talking politics, and Mom was
listening,
and after he went on about money
and how the world can't be fixed
without it, and lies and broken promises;
and I went on about unfairness,
and how politicians portray
women and act like women
are obstacles or less than
people; and Dad countered
with business and economy and
encouraging job growth would give
women power and money, and
I said it still didn't outweigh the
hate...
After that, when Mom caught
my eye and then grimaced and
with a sad voice said, "I never
thought I'd hear my daughter
fighting the exact same battles
I fought at her age," that was when
I knew
that darkness of soul doesn't leave
this Earth quietly, or quickly
but lingers long past its welcome.

And I'll remember, when my
daughters fight the same fight I
argue today--I'll remember that
no one told me I had to be a secretary
or that I shouldn't bother with college--
I'll remember that Dad married Mom
on purpose; that he helped teach me
to trust myself, to earn for myself,
to learn my own mind, and to make
my own world mine; I'll remember
things are better, but
at the same time, they're not fixed,
and probably won't be in a lifetime,
and that doesn't mean I've failed,
only that the world has, just a little,
just as it's also won, just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment