Friday, May 23, 2014

Raindrops, Whiskers, Kettles and Mittens

I'm holding a sweet in my hand--a chocolate
square, with salt and caramel, wrapped in
dark, dark blue foil. I hold it behind my back,
scooting into the room on tiptoe feet, and
wrap my arms around your waist, opening
my hand so you see the chocolate in my
palm. You turn from digging through your bag
and grin, and rip it open (it takes three tries
to get it fully free) and break the piece of
chocolate into two, munching on one half,
feeding me the other.

You probably don't think much of it,
because we do this all the time, but it's
one of my favorite things, to bring you
a piece of chocolate, and earn a smile
in return. Plus getting half the chocolate
is a nice bonus, too. And soon we'll watch
our favorite cartoons, and I'll put my
head on your chest and hear your
heartbeat, the taste of chocolate
lingering on my tongue, and think
I'm pretty happy doing that, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment